AI NO DERRIDA

Saturday, 24 July 2010


The latest addition to my collection of Blake's 7 VHS tapes, entirely sourced via local charity shops. This one features a story called "The Web", one of the earliest episodes I clearly remember watching as a child, on account of a tribe of primitive alien creatures called the Decimas. Watching it again as an adult, its obvious that these are just height-challanged actors in rubber suits (like a slightly more comical variation of the Zygons) and yet...seeing the pity-inducing pathos in those all-too-human eyes buried beneath the layers of latex, and the unholy screaming during the final 'riot' scene, I can begin to understand why my former self was so traumatised by these creatures, who have lingered in the back of my mind ever since.

As if to prove the point, my youngest son (who's three years old) was with me when I watched this last week. Now, this child can quite happily watch the new Dr Who adventures without any major psychological trauma, yet this old Blake's 7 episode left him thoroughly unnerved, to the extent that he is now refusing to even be in the same room as this tape.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this post. Haven't seen The Web since it's original broadcast but have a dim memory which has been sustained by an entry in my copy of "Blake's 7 Programme Guide" (Target 1983) that talks of the political and moral implications of genetic engineering. Strong stuff for prime-time SF! I'm sure it would freak my kids too.

    ReplyDelete