Thursday, 5 August 2010

The Enchanted Castle (BBC, 1979)

This photograph is all I can find of the BBC's 6-part TV adaptation of E Nesbit's children's novel. I remember it chiefly for the episode in which an audience of dummies made out of mops and brooms (dubbed 'Uggly Wugglies') come to life at the end of a play... this absolutely terrified me as a kid. The serial has never been issued on video or DVD, although a new version was pitched in 2009. Some pre-visualisation animation for this can be viewed here


  1. I'm sure I remember the miniseries of The 5 Children and It being shown on our local TV station when I was a kid, but I haven't seen this one. Thanks for posting it.

  2. No problem, Andrea! If only I could find a copy of this though... it's ridiculously sought after. If you Google 'enchanted castle bbc dvd' all you get is forums buzzing with frustrated desire!

    Of course, it possibly has even more power as a vague memory...!

  3. I watched a new episode of 'Doctor Who' last night. It featured scary living dolls and reminded me of that very BBC programme with the Ugly-Wuglies. It must have terrified a generation... or maybe just us 2. :-)