AI NO DERRIDA

Sunday, 15 August 2010

The Last Wave (1977)


One of my favourite films from one of my favourite directors, Peter Weir. A kind of unofficial sequel to Picnic At Hanging Rock and similarly concerned with the uneasy coexistence of ancient and modern cultures. Some of the imagery is burned into my brain for all time and the film's atmosphere of impending doom is enhanced by an eerily understated lead performance by Richard Chamberlain. David Gulpilil and Nandjiwarra Amagula are also excellent. A truly haunting piece of uncanny cinema... "Are you Mulkurul?"

7 comments:

  1. Can't believe I've never heard of this, still less seen it .... will rectify as soon as possible ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "under the paving stones: a beach. no, really."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. Especially like the mogadon voiceover.
    I met Richard Chamberlain many years ago when I served him in and can confirm he was eerily understated in real life too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine. There are definite parallels between this and Nic Roeg's The Man Who Fell To Earth... but I don't want to go into that here as it might ruin the film for those who haven't seen it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meant to say "when I served him in a shop".
    The trauma of working in retail has left deep psychological scars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha... yes, 'served him in' sounds like you turned him over to the constabulary! Perhaps for being Mulkurul without the appropriate paperwork.

    ReplyDelete