Thursday, 26 August 2010

New British Architecture

Vittoria Primary School, Islington, London, 1966

Civic Centre, Sunderland, 1968

Aviary, London Zoo, 1962

Air Structure for Computer Technology Centre, Hemel Hempstead, 1970

Scans from 'New British Architecture' (Thames & Hudson 1972)


  1. Excellent! Ta for this, especially the inflatable office.

    "The internal lamp standards provided background light but would have supported the fabric in the event of total deflation."

  2. "Without it's supporting air pressure the structure would be a mere mass of wrinkles".

    Reminds me of the counterculture's Canvas City inflatable at the 1970 Isle of Wight festival. I can just picture Hawkwind entertaining the office staff on a Friday evening at the end of a hard week ;)

  3. Heh heh! You've reminded me of a dream I had where the office I worked in converted to a pub / gig venue at 5pm every day.

    The office was a bit like a train carriage and it physically bent in the middle come pub time, to form an L-shaped bar and lounge, though the office furniture and effects remained. It's the sort of project the chaps above could have made real, I reckon.