AI NO DERRIDA

Tuesday, 24 August 2010

"Their Majesties The Swallows Are Back"


One of the most beautiful found objects I have is a hand-made album made by a young Dutch girl who spent her summer with an English family in May 1961. She made a beautiful album of photographs and drawings as a memento of her visit which she gifted to the English family she had stayed with. I found it last year discarded in a cardboard box at a boot-sale. The photographs in this album are really wonderful and the drawings are achingly beautiful. Ever since I found it the phrase on one of the drawings, 'Their Majesties The Swallows Are Back', seems to summon up for me every wonderful and haunting thing about the annual return of the British summer.












13 comments:

  1. Bloody Hell, that's fantastic! How does something like that end up in a boot sale? I especially like the photo of the chap in the garden - the dent in the hedge makes it look like he has a hat hovering a few feet above his head, or flying off it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely and cozy.. Those houses look like the houses near where i live? I wonder where exactly she stayed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, this is lovely. I've got a particular fascination with the cyclic elements of our seasons. The cycle of the swallow is fascinating in itself, but what a beautiful found object!

    - Jb.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dream of a Sunshine Breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This has been one of the most hauntingly beautiful post on FO so far. Bravo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with David
    But don't people think this is crying out for some kind of musical setting? I can practically hear in my head the album Their Majesties The Swallows Are Back ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. agreed mark! This could be my first 'hauntilogical' project! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really pleased you all like it so much. I think the idea of a musical project based around this album is a great idea. I have some more images from it if you would like me to post it?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely Darren
    As for the musical project - it would be great if people did this. I can almost hear the Advisory Circle track in my head already!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Please post more images sir!
    You could start a collaberative musical effort based on this as i know there's a few musician types around here.. To be fair i'm not sure if i could match their superior qualities though... but i could have a crack.. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic idea. The first image up there could easily be a current album cover for some US indie act, couldn't it? It's got child-like writing, drawing AND collage!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Buh, sorry, I meant 2nd image.

    ReplyDelete