AI NO DERRIDA

Thursday, 28 October 2010

Is Norfolk the most hauntological county in the uk?

Well, apparently not, with 42% of those that took part in the survey disagreeing with the notion. For the 23% that answered in the affirmative, take comfort from the fact that 22% thought it might have been and 11% didn’t understand the question.

Norfolk has certainly featured heavily on these pages over the last few months, and its crumbling cliffs, creepy waxworks and unusually shaped military installations will, no doubt, continue to be of interest.

For those that think the hauntological crown lays elsewhere, your photographs and field reports are eagerly anticipated.

7 comments:

  1. Teeside! Go see my warrenby village entry for one! Ahh... Competition... There's nothing like it! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only voted against it because I of course think Suffolk should win ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cornwall. Just look at Tintagel with its castle breaking away from the mainland and drifting out to sea. And the blackness that soaks Merlin's cave, deep beneath the castle in the cove below.

    Then there's Padstow with its Wicker Man-esque Mayday celebrations centred around the Obby Oss; immortalised in Steeleye Span's song, 'Padstow'.

    The tiny, ill-lit fishing villages peppering the coastline and the legends that surround Bodmin Moor are just further reasons for Cornwall to bear the crown.

    Disclaimer: I have no vested interest BTW, as I'm from Birmingham, where the only hauntological location is inside my head... Oh, and Post Office Tower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've only visited Brum twice but I'd say it's got plenty to offer, albeit of a more modernist nature. Its motorways and (post)industrial landscapes are prime hauntological territory.

    Then again, I don't have to live there :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I've become accustomed to it, absorbing the worst aspects and not acknowledging their true depths. Familiarity breeds contempt.

    A classic case of not being able to see the wood for the trees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Glimmung. Jeffman, why not take a stroll through exotic Digbeth. Or the Jewellery Quarter. Just for a start. And keep watching the skylines... OK, I can see I'm going to have to make at least a token effort to back this up... Please stand by...

    As for the most Hauntological county, maybe there should be rounds or categories to help whittle it down. My money would be on Yorkshire winning the Music category.

    ReplyDelete
  7. akenatenfield report:
    http://www.eyecastle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete