Tuesday, 19 October 2010

Purnell's History Of The World Wars Special

"Don't mention The War!"

But back in the seventies it seemed to me that The War was still everywhere. In films, in comics, in Action Man figures, in The World At War, in the trunk full of toy machine guns and soldier uniforms in my bedroom. Shooting German infantrymen seemed as natural to me then as shooting Red Indians with my trusty Colt 45 and holster set. I don't recall my parents ever discouraging such activity, though I do recall my gran (the one in my previous post who had about as much reason to dislike 'the hun' as anybody) once telling me something about German soldiers being someone's sons and daddies too. I don't think I believed her.

If I saw any of my kids today behaving the way I did back then, I think I'd be deeply mortified and seriously concerned for their mental development!


  1. Cloning, so that's how they are going to cut defence spending.

  2. ha! yes i see what you mean - the original 'attack of the clones', lol!

  3. My Grandad used to make me and my brothers elaborate wooden machine guns (with detachable magazines) for our endless war games. He'd been in combat, but didn't seem bothered about us re-enacting it in his back garden.

    Thing to remember is that WW2 was only 30 years past in 1975 - same distance as the 80's is from now, and I'm heartily sick of being reminded of that era!

  4. excellent point, well made!

    my gran had some male friends who seemed to be still fighting the war in their heads. but not in a depressed, angst-ridden way. their eyes would light-up and they'd get very excited describing their adventures on the home front. by contrast, my uncle Golfred was totally fucked-up by his war experience. all the years i knew him he hardly said a word to anybody about anything.