Sunday, 24 October 2010

Zardoz pt.2

The film that this book is adapted from is often put down by reviewers for a number of reasons (mostly unfairly centering on Sean Connery's costume) all of which I disagree with. I love it, but I wasn't sure about posting it here as I'd always filed it as a SF parable. MP's recent post provoked me to reconsider. Yes it definitely contains many SF tropes, but looking at the story another way it's about a society haunted by the past and by a future that proves unattainable - distinctly hauntological concerns.

A SF-Hauntology hybrid. I like it.


  1. I like it too, although it's spectacularly daft. What's more hauntological than sci fi, anyway? Apart from Norfolk, I mean.

  2. I like daftness played with a straight face. It's the sort of film where I'm happy to take off the blinkers of contemporary irony, suspend disbelief and wallow for 90 mins.

  3. The flying head is very daft and silly.....but I do like the film.
    Watched The Final Program a while ago and felt the same.
    All very daft and camp, but very captivating and enjoyable.