Saturday, 6 November 2010

Pamela Bone - Circle of Light (1972)

Earlier this year I found myself in a darkened room at the CCA in Glasgow with a fellow Found Objects follower watching a looping 30 minute film about the astonishing work of photographer Pamela Bone.

The film was Circle of Light and was made by Anthony M. Roland in 1972, with sound realisation by Delia Derbyshire and Elsa Stansfield.

Here are a few stills from this highly hauntological and highly autumnal piece of work:

There seems to be very little information about Ms Bone on the web. All I know about her is that she made her photographs using glass transparencies.

If anyone knows more about her and whether there are any books about her and her work, I'd love to know.

If you'd like to watch the whole movie, you can. It's available for "hire" (per week or per year) from the Roland Collection (site is best viewed in Internet Explorer). I have no involvement with the Roland Collection, I just happen to think this is an amazing piece of work.  It's just a pity you can't get a copy on DVD.

Robert Baldock