AI NO DERRIDA

Tuesday, 7 December 2010

Box of Glass Slides

Back in the spring I found this box of glass negatives in Brick Lane market - the man who sold them to me (for £4) sells old tools, in a back-street part of the market that has been relatively untouched by the changes in the area.

My guess is that the family in the pictures were cabinet makers - a trade that goes way back in the East End, as one of the pictures seems to be of a cabinet in a work shop - this also goes some way to explain as to why they were being sold off with old tools, that looked like they had been emptied en masse from a works somewhere.

It was amazing to see the pictures appear on my screen as I scanned them into Photoshop.

More pictures on flickr . http://www.flickr.com/photos/frances_castle/sets/72157623964093685/





13 comments:

  1. Brilliant - and quite odd to see these people materialising, unseen for so many years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was the really amazing thing about it, especially scanning the broken slides.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are incredible! I recommend everyone checks out the rest on Flickr.

    [NB: ectoplasm in last picture?]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah would be nice but I think it is just a net curtain with the sun shining through it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really can't tell you how much I adore these photos. They're just beautiful. Thank you SO much for posting them. They've made my day!

    Dolly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. It makes you think about how much of our photographic heritage has been lost. Very poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing find. Such a creepy era, that still resonates today, as these images prove.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I work a lot with restoring old Photos, and these are some of the most amazing I have ever seen.
    A truly fantastic post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful. Great find, Frances!

    ReplyDelete