AI NO DERRIDA

Friday, 10 December 2010

Brian Hodgson


Moving along to that other Hodgson, I notice that so far I'm the only person who's voted for Brian in the Radiophonic poll (see sidebar). Naturally Delia has struck out ahead, and deservedly so, but I felt I had to give some support to her old friend and colleague.

Delia may have had an amazingly analytical approach to sound creation, but Brian tended to work in a more instinctive way, fiddling around with tapes and oscillators until he found something that felt right - a method that I also employ - which complimented Derbyshire's approach perfectly.

This is the man, afterall, who created one of the the most instantly recognisable pieces of electronic music ever - The TARDIS take-off - as well as creating most of the special sounds for Dr. Who in the sixties. He was also part of White Noise with Delia and Dave Vorhaus, and his contribution to Standard Library album ESL 104 (re-issued as The Tomorrow People OST on Trunk) is colossal. That album alone must rank as one of the the most crucial documents of early British electronic music, particularly for the way it was so widely and insidiously used on TV programmes in the seventies (it's all over the Pertwee classic "Inferno").

How many people know he made a second album for Standard Library in the mid-seventies? I didn't, until I found a copy. From the period when he was running his own Electrophon studio, "Encore Electronic" is a split collaboration with his Wavemaker partner John Lewis, and is extremely beautiful. The record is quite rare, so please permit me to share a couple of full tracks with you, because they're just too good to keep to myself...

Brian Hodgson - The Craters Of Mars
Brian Hodgson - Cathedrals In Space

(image borrowed from the discogs entry, but that's okay cos it was me who uploaded it in the first place!)

13 comments:

  1. "I notice that so far I'm the only person who's voted for Brian in the Radiophonic poll (see sidebar)".
    In fact the count went up to "2" last night as soon as I spotted the poll. But hey, they are all winners...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I voted for John Baker, I love that guys work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man, couldn't you upload the whole record?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, whole record please!

    "Cathedrals In Space" is lovely - put me in mind of "Enter The Eldil" from the first Wavemaker LP - a track I could happily die to...

    ReplyDelete
  5. keep it dark ;-)

    https://www.yousendit.com/dl?phi_action=app/orchestrateDownload&rurl=https%253A%252F%252Fwww.yousendit.com%252Ftransfer.php%253Faction%253Dbatch_download%2526batch_id%253DcEd0QndCZEsyWGMwTVE9PQ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haven't caught up with this blog in a while and I'm very sorry to have missed this entry! Is there any chance of making these available again for a short time?

    ReplyDelete
  7. https://rcpt.yousendit.com/1100507871/ef12ac07cda7e904f16d39278c6f7f0a?cid=tr-cv-web-stnd-dl-literec-null-b-19063&s=19063

    ReplyDelete
  8. Download link is invalid :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Would anyone mind re-upping the record?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agreed, would like a re-re-reupload of this.

    ReplyDelete