Sunday, 19 December 2010

"Tony's father has been away a long time..."

One of the most putrid and offensive British horror / sci-fi films ever made - yet also one of the most imaginative. Alien violation, adult birth, a faithfully rendered lifesize Action Man, an unexplained black panther and a decidedly queasy synth score are just some of the elements which make Harry Bromley Davenport's Xtro (1982) essential viewing for all fans of British Weird.


  1. Baffling, unpleasant, surreal, unmissable.

  2. A strangely brilliant film, I first saw it when I was about 10 years old, so around about 1988. It still unsettles me today. I think the synth soundtrack has a huge bearing on the film’s power to disturb and baffle, well worth tracking down on lp. I haven’t watched it in a couple of years so I think I’ll dig the DVD out. Good Christmas viewing.


  3. I'm putting this one on my list of films to see. Saw a good Siskel and Ebert review of the film off in the side bar. Siskel seemed to be really offended, and completely confounded by the movie. These are all indicators that I'll really enjoy it.

  4. Funnily enough I recently came across a "teaser" for Xtro in an old copy of 200AD, also mentioned above. I obviously didn't realise it until then that that small mention must've fueled my 20+ year 'want' to see the movie. Was strange to see how it was promoted as "UK version of ET" and with the obscure promo shots it could have been taken as such.