AI NO DERRIDA

Sunday, 20 February 2011

The Cock Crows



Ex-rozzer Brian Lumley has been hacking away at the Cthulhu mythos for ages , adding a dose of two-fisted action to the tentacled horror (for reasons best known only to himself).

He once said:

"I have trouble relating to people who faint at the hint of a bad smell. A meep or glibber doesn't cut it with me. (I love meeps and glibbers, don't get me wrong, but I go looking for what made them!) That's the main difference between my stories...and HPL's. My guys fight back. Also, they like to have a laugh along the way.”

Sigh.

Oh, Brian – subtlety’s not your strong point is it?

Titus Crow is a big a cliché of any occult detective you care to think of.

3 comments:

  1. If you can't have a laugh while battling against the Old Ones, then when can you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a perfect quote. I've always had a soft spot for Brian Lumley's rather, uh, 'earthy' take on horror ever since reading "The Burrowers Beneath" as an impressionable teenager.

    The way his heroes dealt with things by charging about the English countryside in their motorcars, stopping regularly at village pubs for a few pints of lovingly described foamy brown ale, before blowing the shit out of the emissaries of the Great Old Ones with dynamite and machine guns certainly made for a welcome change of pace after ploughing through Lovecraft, Poe, Machen etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we all went through a Lumley stage in our teens. They seemed to be the only horror books you could get in WH Smiths (apart from King and Hudson and Herbert, natch) in the 80s. I re-read this last year and it really does have some one fingered typing type prose. There IS something attractive about him though...

    ReplyDelete