Tuesday, 8 February 2011

Lost in time

I have a passion for ivy-covered ruins, so my latest explore was a total delight.

Just outside the Suffolk town of Bury St. Edmunds, deep within a secluded wooded area, lies the ruins of the 17th Century Rougham Hall. It was built by the Agnew family circa 1690 with additions in 1878 and 1906.

Below are a couple of pictures of the Hall in it's former glory:

This picture can be found on

This picture can be found on the fantastic - a particularly fine Urban Explorer.

Sadly, during the Second World War, a nearby American airbase became a target for German bombers and Rougham Hall was hit by a stray German bomb. The force of the bomb's explosion shattered the foundations bringing down walls and floors as well as the roof. The building was rendered useless and has never been repaired, left now to tender embraces of Mother Nature. And as you will see, a fine job she is doing.

Nearly 70 years later, I journeyed my way through the trees and undergrowth, clambering through bramble and ivy in search of the ruin of Rougham Hall. And when I came to a clearing, the sight before me took my breath away.

Before me was a wonderous ruin, a stately home that had fallen from grace. All that seemed to be keeping her together were the ivy and trees, her only residents now being the wild birds of the wood.

I slowly and carefully made my around the outside, a multitude of images presenting themselves to me.

I then decided it was time to make my way into the perilous ruin, to see what she had to offer, I hoped not in return for my life!!!

Floors had gone, the roof long since disappeared and cellars were open to the elements.

The most complete room which had floors and ceilngs was a veritable death trap. Within the centre of the room was a massive hole in the floor, pipework visible and the prospect of certain death if I dared to enter it - the wooden floor had the consistency of tissue paper and crumbled in my hand and under my feet. I looked in from a window and from a door, the latent beauty of the situation over-whelming me.

The weather was beginning to worsen and the February wind was gathering a disturbing pace, not the sort of thing one wants whilst exploring a ruin of this fragility. I made my way out of the crumbling structure and stood back to take in the awesome beauty of this forgotten relic, and marvel at the wonderful work of Mother Nature.

I will return to this place soon.


  1. Nice work. Note the Manson family tribute graffiti in image 7.

  2. Excellent.
    Love these photographs (especially the last three), looks like a great day out for all the -Manson- family !

  3. I agree with Fearlono, the last three photos are spectacular.

  4. What an amazing old place. The last 3 photos are indeed spectacular.
    its worth checking out Racton Ruin. Lots of pics on Google.

  5. Agree check out Racton. It is certainly atmospheric.