AI NO DERRIDA

Wednesday, 30 March 2011

Paraboloid

Bollops' concrete pictures reminded me of Sam Scorer's paraboloid structure on the M1 at Markham Moor.

Built in the late 1950's as a service station, it became a Little Chef about fifteen years ago and has recently escaped demolition in the name of progress. It's not listed, but they are looking into it. I'll pass it on Saturday as I travel down from Yorkshire to Essex so look out for a blurred photograph taken at speed in the next few days.



4 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff, can't wait to see the blurry shots. Were the jutty-outy bits on the ground part of the original building? I see they're not there in the top pic, but it looks like that was taken during the build.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe the building was constructed at a later date underneath the existing curve. So, yes, once it was arch for arch sake. I can't work out if that was really witty or really shit. Maybe just one for the 10cc fans

    ReplyDelete
  3. Arch comments, indeed.
    Surely you'll take a pit stop here for some strong tea and vittles?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's only twenty five minutes into a three hour journey. I have stopped here before pre FO on a trip to 'Sundown Adventureland', a theme park for the under sevens. If they ever make a version of 'The Prisoner' for toddlers that's the location.

    ReplyDelete