AI NO DERRIDA

Thursday, 14 April 2011

Behind the scenes with the undead















Cuadecuc: Vampir (1970). I'd heard of this Spanish production years ago and wondered ever since, so it was great to finally see it in full. Put together by Pere Portabella, this is either an avant-garde experimental documentary on, or a compilation of out-takes and rehearsals of, Jess Franco's Count Dracula, with no dialogue, only music and sound effects, although it ends with Christopher Lee reading an excerpt from Bram Stoker's novel concerning Dracula's murder. Best experienced on mild hallucinogens, this film marvellously evokes the dark, eternal caverns of the unknown. Pure Gothic Ecstasy. Watch/Download a video-to-DivX version here.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for posting this - downloading as we speak.

    Something tells me this will be a far more satisfying experience than actually watching Jess Franco's 'Count Dracula'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to be of help. I watched it yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. The "behind the scenes" footage is so fascinating. Quite a rarity it seems, doesn't look like it's ever been re-released on DVD. Yes, definitely a lot better than Franco's version!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Best experienced on mild hallucinogens"

    I don't need telling twice.
    Thanks for this, I'm a fan of Franco's Dracula (providing I've got the correct medication), but hadn't seen Cuadecuc before.

    I noticed that Begotten was also available from the link you posted. Well worth keeping to hand if you ever need to rid yourself of unwanted relatives at Christmas !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Fearlono, I missed that one. Shall check it out tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fantastic but I can't get it to play or download.. I'm using a Mac - any suggestions? (not including "use a PC"!)

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete