AI NO DERRIDA

Saturday, 15 October 2011

Marianne Dreams

Escape into Night was a 6 part adaption of the wonderful Catherine Storr story Marianne Dreams. It was produced by ATV in 
1972. The story is basically this. A Girl (Marianne) discovers and old pencil in a workbox. When Marianne draws a house with 
this pencil, the house appears in her dreams. She then draws a boy (Mark) in the house and he to appears in her dreams. In a 
rage one day Marianne draws some strange rocks with eyes 
outside the house, but then these rocks also start to appear in her dreams. As the line between the dreams and reality get 
blurred Marianne and Mark realise that the rocks are moving 
closer to the house and they decide it is time to leave/escape 
from the house. A film version of Marianne Dreams was made 
in 1988. The film was called Paperhouse. The basic storyline of the book was used, but there where quite a few plot changes in the film. The moving Spooky Stones are replaced by an angry 
blind Ogre who is the Girls Father, Not so spooky.

6 comments:

  1. Strangely enough, I found a copy of that Puffin edition of 'Marianne Dreams' in a skip last week. Unfortunately I can't read it as most of the pages are torn out, but the cover art makes it worth hanging on to. I was going to scan it, along with other finds, for a post here tomorrow actually... I probably still will, assuming nobody minds the repetition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Repetition......I def don't mind. Its a great story, and this addition has a lovely cover. If you found it in a skip, good on you. I always have a quick look in skips and have never found anything worth bringing home. I did find a good Dennis Wheatley that was being thrown out once. Posted that here a while ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear FO,
    I knew that if I followed this blog for long enough this programme would come up, and so ..THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, ... I must have seen the original seires in 1972 then and it's been "haunting" me ever since.. as I never could never remember the name of it..all I could ever remember was the girl in the house with the scary stones with eyes moving closer... sh*t scarey .. and a boy called Mark (even scarier cos that's my name too) in there with her. And now on this day in 2011, 39 years into the future I have found it again. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I shall proceed to Network DVD to get my order in...but I'll probably be too scared to watch it.
    probably explained why I never liked drawing much either as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe it. I was beginning to wonder if the rocks in some TV show that haunted me from childhood were a figment of my imagination! but here it is! and get this...Vicky Chamber who plays the child went to the same drama school as me when she was older...she was a third years when i was a first year..i'm thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to be of service. I loved the series but it really bothered me. Not even 100% sure at the time what was going on. Have just re-read the book, its still a lovely story. I hope to catch up with Charlotte Sometimes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of these are available on DVD but Escape Into Night is easily the better of the two. I would love to read the original book though!

    ReplyDelete