AI NO DERRIDA

Thursday, 29 March 2012

Post-War School Boom





Adverts from 'School Construction, 1954', a reprint of articles published that year in the School Construction section of "Education" (Official Organ of the Association of Education Committees).

Amazing Fact of the Day: a new school was finished in England & Wales every day between 1950 and 1970!

Also fascinating - to me, anyway - is how far back that classic school building style goes (see 1st and 3rd pics).  Probably because I was born in the late 60s, but I'd always sort of assumed it didn't arrive till the 60s or even 70s.

3 comments:

  1. Owen> Wee! Thanks for that. Funnily enough I've just started reading about Herts, CLASP etc, in "Towards a Social Architecture" by Andrew Saint. Still on the pre-war bit. Will probably post a bit from it up here in due course.

    Keith> Ta! I've developed a minor obsession with this subject, and post-war building & planning in general. Fighting the temptation to drown this blog in it; I've thought of starting a separate one but I dunno if I'd have the time and mental energy to stick to it.

    ReplyDelete